Interstate-Guide - Updates
Previous Update Logs: 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008
- Updated guides for Interstates 41 and 43, with photos contributed by Peter Johnson on June 17, 2015.
- Revised write-ups and added maps to Interstates 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 65, 69, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77 and 79.
- Revised write-ups and added maps to all two-digit Interstate routes ending in zero, all even numbered two-digits routes from I-64 to I-96, and Interstates 4, 24, 44 and 64.
- Revised write-ups and added maps to Interstates 81, 83, 85, 87, 89, 91, 93, 97, 99 and 595 in Maryland.
- Interstate 95 - per AASHTO, Interstate 295 will be extended west from Trenton over the former I-95 alignment once the I-95 / Pennsylvania Turnpike interchange is completed.
- Interstate 22 - AASHTO approves Interstate 22 for 106.7 miles of the U.S. 78 freeway in Mississippi.
- Interstate 69 - AASHTO approves two new segments in Kentucky along the Purchase and Pennyrile Parkways. Additionally completion of Segment 4 in Indiana is expected by late 2015.
- AASHTO approved the new designation of Interstate 169 in Brownsville, Texas.
- Interstate 840 Tennessee - AASHTO approves the redesignation of Tennessee 840 to Interstate 840 pending resubmital of the application with the proper designation (TDOT submitted SR 840 instead of I-840).
- Interstate 485 North Carolina - the final 5.7 miles of I-485 opens on June 5.
- Intestate 580 Nebraska - added a more detailed history for the North Freeway and map scans from 1968 and 1980.
- The FHWA Route Log and Finder List was updated on December 31, 2014. All mileage statistics were updated here to reflect the new figures (except for Maine, where pre-2004 mileage is still reflected, and other routes with notable issues such as for I-26 in Tennessee).
- Interstate 70 - the easternmost 1.95 miles in Baltimore will be converted into a two-lane parkway (Cooks Boulevard).
- Interstate 49 - AHTD began resigning I-540 north of I-40 as I-49 on April 21, 2014.
- Interstate 540 Arkansas - was truncated east of Van Buren, leaving the original spur into Fort Smith as the lone route of I-540.
- Interstate 11 - Interstate 11 signage is unveiled at the Hoover Dam Bypass. Work on the Boulder City Bypass is underway but the discovery of naturally forming asbestos during construction may delay completion of Phase 1.
- Interstate 422 - work broke ground last month on the first 1.34-mile segment of the Birmingham North Beltline.
- Interstate 44 - The opening of the new Mississippi River crossing for I-70 coincided with a short extension of I-44 northward by Downtown St. Louis over the former Interstate 70.
- Interstate 70 - the new Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge opened to traffic on February 8, 2014, shifting I-70 to a new alignment away from the Poplar Street Bridge into St. Louis.
- Interstate 269 Mississippi and Tennessee - updated page with more detailed history and projected opening dates for the remainder of the freeway being built.
- Interstate 526 South Carolina - SCDOT approved a contract for the completion of the Charleston loop between U.S. 17 and James Island.
- Interstate 140 North Carolina - work continues on the Leland Bypass section of I-140, between U.S. 74 & 76 west of Lanvale Road to U.S. 17 at Bishop. A $125-million contract was awarded for the next phase, including the Cape Fear River Bridge, with work running through 2017.
- Interstate 14 - a group of four Texas cities have agreeded that U.S. 190 should be designated as an Interstate between Copperas Cove and Interstate 35. They advocate I-14 and have sent their measure to Austin and Washington lawmakers.
- Interstate 495 North Carolina - I-495 was made official during an announcement by the North Carolina Governor and Transportation Secretary on December 12, 2013.
- Interstate 475 Georgia - expanded the history section of the route.
- Interstate 44 - the northern extension of I-44 from the Poplar Street Bridge west end to the new I-70 Mississippi River bridge in St. Louis was approved by AASHTO.
- Interstate 49 - the newest section of future I-49 opened around the north side of Texarkana on May 15, 2013. AASHTO approved the redesignation of both AR 549 and I-540 north from I-40 as Interstate 49 on October 21, 2013. Work continues on the Louisiana portion of I-49 North with a possible opening next month on segments I through A.
- Interstate 69E Texas - the designation at Robbstown was made official with AASHTO approval on October 21, 2013.
- Interstate 164 Indiana - Interstate 164 was eliminated and replaced with an extension of Interstate 69 per the AASHTO meeting of October 21, 2013.
- Interstate 369 Texas - signs went up for IH 369 at Texarkana last month.
- Interstate 785 North Carolina - I-785 was approved as an Interstate route in east Greenboro. Construction in 2014 will extend the Greensboro Urban Loop northward to U.S. 29.
- Interstate 24 - expanded page to include history on the Ohio River bridge closure during 1979 and 1980 an opening dates for both Illinois and Kentucky.
- Interstate 74 North Carolina - revised page to reflect opening dates for most segments, including the most recent from Glenola to Randleman opened on June 7, 2013.
- Interstate 781 New York - I-781 opened to traffic this morning.
- Interstate 69C Texas - created page for the recently approved designation for 13.5 miles of U.S. 281 freeway in South Texas.
- Interstate 369 Texas - 3.5 miles of U.S. 59 freeway at Texarkana were approved as the first segment of the 118-mile proposed IH 369.
- Interstate 41 - AASHTO approved 41 as the number for the U.S. 41 freeway in Illinois. Added five photos of the proposed end points.
- Interstate 69 - 67 new miles of freeway opened today between SR 64 and U.S. 231 in southwestern Indiana.
- Interstate 495 Maryland / Virginia - The 495 ExpressLanes HOT lanes opened to traffic on November 17, 2012.
- Interstate 22 - updated page to reflect the current progress on construction and added photos of road work at the eastern end.
- Interstate 49 - updated page relating to new freeway construction from Shreveport to Texarkana and Bentonville to Kansas City.
- Interstate 310 Louisiana - added more detail to the history of I-310's construction between Boutte and Kenner.
- Interstate 510 Louisiana - added detailed history pertaining to I-510's construction.
- Interstate 540 - AHTD plans to submit an application to AASHTO for a renumbering of I-540 north of I-40 to Interstate 49.
- Interstate 895 Maryland - revised history of the Harbor Tunnel Thruway.
- Interstate 69 - updated page reflecting progress on new stretches of Interstate 69 and the signing of segments in Kentucky and Texas. Revised photos of the south end of the original mainline, and replaced photos in Michigan.
- Interstate 110 Texas - updated page to reflect the posting of signs acknowledging the Interstate designation.
- Interstate 695 D.C. - updated page to change the route from unsigned to signed status as signs were posted along the new 11th Street Bridges acknowledging I-695.
- Interstate 11 - created page for new proposed Interstate highway along the U.S. 93 corridor between Phoenix and Las Vegas
- Interstate 515 Nevada - updated page to reflect possible inclusion of Interstate 515 into the Interstate 11 corridor
- Interstate 755 Mississippi - created page for new proposed Interstate highway from Interstate 55 in Jackson to the international airport to the east
- Interstate 781 New York - created page for new proposed Interstate highway from Interstate 81 in Pamelia (north of Watertown, New York) east to Fort Drum (U.S. Army Base)
|Interstate 80 westbound at U.S. 83 in Nebraska. Photo taken 09/05/05.
|Nebraska was the first state to complete its Interstate system. Find more Interstate facts on the All About Interstates page.
|Crossing the Columbia River on Interstate 5 north. Photo taken 08/27/06.
|This bridge is one of a handful of draw bridges on the Interstate system. Find more Interstate facts on the All About Interstates page.